Strawberries During Pregnancy
Strawberries are one of the most nutritious fruits, loaded with vitamins and minerals, being beneficial in maintaining one’s overall health. A craving for strawberries during pregnancy might also indicate a girl in waiting as suggested by old wives tales.
Is it safe to eat strawberries during pregnancy
Eating strawberries while pregnant is both healthy and safe in the first , second and third trimester  for its high nutrient content [1, 2].
Can you drink strawberry tea
Tea prepared from strawberry and its leaves is said to come with a lot of health benefits, but make sure to consult a doctor before having it.
Health benefits of strawberry during pregnancy
High in vitamins
Getting adequate vitamins during pregnancy is necessary for the mother as well as the baby, and strawberry has them in abundance. Besides being a good source of Vitamin C and B9, this fruit also contains limited amounts of vitamin B6, E, and K.
Vitamin C is essential for collagen formation and growth of skin and bones , while B9 or folate, highly necessary in the first trimester, lessens neural tube defects and other birth deformities [5, 25]. B6 fosters brain and nervous system development, also providing relief from nausea and vomiting . Vitamin E, on the other hand, protects the body tissues from free radical damage and also maintains your prolactin levels .
Good source of minerals
Strawberries contain minerals like manganese, potassium, copper, iron, phosphorous and magnesium. Manganese assists in bone and cartilage formation, also protecting the cells from damage . Potassium works towards keeping your pains and cramps at bay . Copper fosters the development of the fetus’ blood vessels, heart, nervous system and skeletal system , while its iron content is beneficial for hemoglobin production and boosting the immune system . Phosphorous helps the body in energy generation and usage alongside maintaining proper bone health, whereas magnesium (which is vital in the second trimester) prevents premature contraction of the uterus [26, 27].
Rich in fiber
Pregnant women need 25-30 grams of dietary fiber on a daily basis to have proper bowel movements and lessen possibilities of constipation [15, 16]. A cup of strawberries provides 3 grams of fiber making it a worthy addition to your daily dier alongside other fiber-rich foods .
Ideas for adding strawberries to your diet
- Having some fresh juice or milkshake
- Making delicious jam at home
- Mixing some raw or cooked strawberry pieces in your yogurt 
- Making some smoothie along with fruits like apples and bananas
- Having some non-alcoholic daiquiri made with fresh or frozen strawberries along with ice and lime juice .
Things to remember while eating strawberry in pregnancy
- Strawberry-flavored ice creams and cakes should be eaten in limited amounts as they are high in sugar and calorie. If making at home, do not taste the cake batter and make sure to use pasteurized eggs for homemade ice creams [19, 20, 21] to avoid any viral or bacterial infection (e.g., salmonella).
- Homemade strawberry sodas are safer than the commercially available ones since the latter has caffeine and artificial sweeteners that may harm the fetus .
Can eating strawberries during pregnancy be bad
Though they are good during pregnancy, eating too many strawberries at one go may result in some adverse effects. If you develop rashes, itchiness, diarrhea, heartburn, stomachache or any other symptoms after eating it, stop consumption at once and contact your health care provider .