Best Finger Toothbrushes for Babies
It is of utmost importance that you start your baby’s oral care regimen as early as possible, both to keep his teeth and gums healthy and to build up good dental care habits in him when he is older. A finger toothbrush can be the foundation for such oral care.
When can you start using a finger toothbrush for your baby
Right from the very beginning, even before his first tooth erupts, you need to clean your baby’s gums every day. Many prefer to use a clean and damp muslin cloth, or some gauze; but you may start using a small finger toothbrush, with a little toothpaste (after asking your pediatrician), when your baby is 2-3 months old.
Why go for a finger toothbrush
A soft wet cloth does work well for the purpose, so it might seem unnecessary to switch to a toothbrush, especially if your baby is just a few months old. But, there are some benefits to consider:
- The soft silicone bristles provide a safe way to start using an actual toothbrush without having to put nylon bristles in the tiny mouth of your baby.
- The soft bumps on the back of the bristle-head clean the gums, and tongue, also providing a massaging effect which is particularly soothing for a teething baby.
- Soft and colorful, finger toothbrushes feel like vibrant toys your baby would love, and you can also let him ‘play’ with it safely, encouraging a healthy brushing habit. (However, keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn’t choke on it)
What to look for when buying
With so many modern varieties available, it does help to know beforehand what you should be looking for:
- Check the circumference of the toothbrush band to make sure it fits your fingertip well-enough to provide you proper grip and control while brushing
- Get a non-toxic silicone finger toothbrush, with soft silicone bristles
- Make sure that the bristle-head fits into your baby’s mouth, as a brush too large or too small may choke him
- Bright colors and attractive designs can help keep the attention of babies, making the brushing-time interesting
- Check if the brush is meant to be handled by adults only, or if you can let the baby operate it occasionally, especially if you are buying for a soon-to-be toddler.
Top 5 Finger Toothbrushes for Babies
|1. Baby Buddy Finger Toothbrush Stage 2 for Infants/Toddlers (pack of 2)||BPA-free, and made of 100% food-grade FDA-approved silicone, it is the stage 2 brush of a 6-stage oral care routine, meant for babies older than 3 months.
|2. Finger Toothbrush by BabyBaus, for Babies and Toddlers (pack of 3)||Made of FDA approved and BPA-free 100% silicone, each toothbrush comes in colorful individual cases. Can be used for babies older than 2-3 months.
|3. Baby Toothbrush With Case (pack of 6)||Made of BPA-free, FDA approved silicone; it is the stage 2 dental and gum care package of a 6-stage oral care program. With a small, soft bristle-head, it is recommended for babies over 3 years.
|4. Summer Infant Finger Toothbrush with Case (pack of 1)||BPA-free, 100% food-grade silicone brush, it is safe for newborns and older kids.
|5. Ashtonbee Baby Toothbrush and Oral Massager (pack of 2)
|BPA and chemical-free, made of FDA approved soft silicone, suitable to be used for newborns to older babies.
Building good oral care habits in your baby from the beginning can save you the inconvenience of running after him every night before bed-time to make him brush his teeth. But make sure not to keep using a finger toothbrush for too long, or it might become a bad habit for your child, and he might never want to switch to a nylon brush.