Is It Safe To Drink Alkaline Water During Pregnancy?
The hardest part for any woman during her pregnancy is to know whether she is doing everything right. Amidst the joyful hope that pregnancy brings, you have millions of things to worry about, starting from what you eat and drink. Eating nutritious and safe food during pregnancy is something that many pregnant ladies take note of while the drinking part is less noticed.
Yes, you quit drinking alcohol and stop drinking coffee when you get pregnant, but can that be all? Most important thing is that you should be drinking plenty of water during pregnancy to be sufficiently hydrated. The amount of water you drink should be more than your normal intake before pregnancy. And on top of it, it is recommended that you drink alkaline water for various health related benefits during pregnancy, before and after pregnancy.
Is it safe to drink alkaline water during pregnancy?
Yes, it’s not only safe to drink alkaline water during pregnancy; it also helps you with some health benefits. We know how important it is for anyone to drink water and how beneficial water can be to anyone, but during pregnancy the type of water you drink can also make difference. Also because your body tends to tilt towards being acidic, drinking alkaline water helps you balance the pH level in your body.
First of all, let’s know something about the pH scale. The pH scale goes from 1 to 14, 7 being neutral. When something has pH less than 7, it is more acidic and as the scale increases, alkalinity also increases. The pH level of 1 is highly acidic whereas pH level of 14 is highly alkaline. Water belongs to the scale between 6.5 and 9 in pH balance, which means it is more or less neutral.
Alkaline water has a pH level that exceeds 7 and has a subtle bitter taste to it. During pregnancy, the body of a woman tends to become acidic which is why alkaline water is recommended. While drinking alkaline water, it helps to balance the acidic effect of pregnancy and helps to have a balanced pH level in body. So, it better that you drink alkaline water starting the time you prepare for your pregnancy, during the pregnancy and even post-pregnancy.
As it is widely recommended for pregnant women to drink alkaline water, there are some benefits that you must know about alkaline water.
Health Benefits of Alkaline Water
We already know what alkaline water is and what it does but here are some health benefits that you can relate to while you are pregnant. Followings are those points that can absolutely resonate to your pregnant self and explain where you can see the difference made by normal and alkaline water in your body.
- Alkaline water helps your body balance its natural pH level during pregnancy. As the pregnant body tends to be more acidic than non-pregnant body, it is benefitting to drink alkaline water and help your body.
- It helps to reduce morning sickness and nausea during pregnancy. During the first few months of pregnancy, the body gives alkaline minerals to placenta in order to neutralize the acidic discharges from fetus. It is known that acidity alleviates morning sickness in pregnant women. So, while drinking alkaline water, we can immediately find the difference, as the morning sickness reduces.
- It is found that drinking alkaline water also helps in smoother deliveries.
- With the use of alkaline water, the likelihood of jaundice in baby as well as the mother can be reduced.
- Alkaline water also helps increase lactation in mothers.
- Alkaline water has natural calcium in it which helps the pregnant women have healthy bones and also reduces calcium loss while also helping the baby have healthy teeth and bones.
- Drinking alkaline water helps the new moms recover fast after delivery.
- It helps to rehydrate your body as does the normal water. Hydrated body can fight against headaches, nausea, vomiting and many other pregnancy effects.
While going through the benefits of alkaline water, you may have wondered where we can find it and also how we can turn the normal water in our home to alkaline water. You can use the following ways to get alkaline water.
- First of all, you can always go to a supermarket or grocery store to find bottled alkaline water. This is made by ionizing water using machinery and contains many nutritive elements required by your body when pregnant.
- You can also ionize water at home to make it alkaline. There are different processes for making water alkaline such as adding pH drops to normal water, using ionizing filters and also by using baking soda or lime juice. But first, you need to know how alkaline you want your water to be as well as the pH level of water before ionizing it.
Side Effects of Alkaline Water
You now know that alkaline water is safe to drink. But, everything has negative sides and similar is the case for alkaline water too. Too much alkaline water can cause malfunctioning of body once the pH level exceeds beyond the capacity.
Alkalinity can be dangerous as acidity and consuming too much of alkaline water can cause nutritional imbalance in the body. Several normal cells are found to have died in excessive alkaline environment.
Other side effects of drinking alkaline water during pregnancy is neutralization with gastric acid. It diminishes your digestion capability and you might suffer from malabsorption.
It is always better to consult your doctor first before you start drinking alkaline water, because all the bodies are different. You also should find out about your body’s pH level and measure how drinking alkaline water can benefit your body before using it.
If you have something to add to the topic, please feel free to enlighten other moms and to-be-moms by putting your opinion in the comment box below.